Hobz Biz-Zejt is a favourite snack in Malta and Gozo. Not only is it tasty, it is very simple to make; an ideal nibble, especially for picnics.
The main ingredients are bread, tomatoes , olive oil, salt and pepper. Other ingredients can vary dependant on personal preference. In Malta the dish is popular to take out due to its simplicity or served as an appetiser in most restaurants or as a bar snack. For vegetarian or vegan version just exclude the tuna.
You can make single portion to a large-family size meal without spending hours in the kitchen 😉
- Pour the olive oil into a plate.
- Slice the bread, then dip one side of each slice into the oil. Squeeze out the excess.
- If using fresh tomatoes, slice them in half then rub the cut side over the bread until it is red. If using tomato paste, just spread over the bread.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add capers, olive slices, flakes of tuna, chopped green peppers and other ingredients of your choice on top.
Serve and Enjoy.
For other Maltese delicacies click on this link:
Another favourite we recommend you try is Pastizzi check out the blog we have below: