The delightful village of Dingli (population 2,000) is 14kms from Valletta and 3kms south west of Rabat. It lies among irrigated fields and the countryside around it is enchanting.
Most of the Dingli population were farmers who tilled the land.
Nowadays, the village has grown in size and many of its inhabitants have abandoned the fields and sought other activities in the urban areas.
Up to the early 17th century, Dingli depended on the parish of St. Paul in Rabat, but in 1615, the village was made into a distinct parish. The parish church of St. Mary was built in 1678 on the site of a smaller one from the previous century.
It stands on high ground and is a notable landmark in those rural areas. The streets around it are narrow and winding - quite typical of an old agricultural village.
Dingli is very well known for the superb views one can enjoy from the cliffs in the vicinity. Holiday makers can visit Buskett Gardens and Verdala Castle are within its limits.
Dingli is the starting point from which nature enthusiasts set out on pleasant walks.