Marfa and Selmun are dependent districts of Mellieha, standing on either side of the town.
MARFA is the peninsula marking the north west limits of Malta. It is notable for the busy embarkation point at Cirkewwa for the Gozo ferries and the Comino boat.
High atop Marfa ridge rises the Red Tower, erected by the knights in 1649. The White Tower stands at Ahrax Point. The whole Marfa peninsula was well fortified in colonial days, and remains of the defensive walls are a common sight in the area.
SELMUN is a small community of farmers on the ridge above Mistra Bay. The majestic tower of Selmun is the largest and the last palatial castle built by the Knights.
Its comer turrets and the encircling balcony are remarkable features of this outstanding baroque monument. The castle is a vantage point for a superb view over St. Paul's islets and the modern tourist townships of Bugibba and Qawra.